Tuition & Fees
Tuition for each course is $1,400 per unit. Each course ranges from 3-5 units, as indicated on course pages. You must earn 45 units of credit within five years of your start date to be awarded a Master’s degree.
Starting in Academic Year 2022-23, the flat tuition for 8-10 units will match the School of Engineering’s tuition. See the table below for details.
|Quarterly Tuition (unless otherwise specified)
|Total Units 1-7
|Quarterly Tuition (unless otherwise specified) $1,400 per unit
|Total Units 8-10
|Quarterly Tuition (unless otherwise specified) $13,040
|Total Units 11-18
|Quarterly Tuition (unless otherwise specified) $20,058
Additional required fees
- The document fee for matriculated students admitted to a new degree is $250 and for non-matriculated students in non-degree programs is $125. (not applicable if you already paid this fee for a credit-bearing graduate course prior to starting your degree program).
- Associated Students of Stanford University (ASSU) Fee, assessed each autumn, winter, or spring quarter you are enrolled. Learn more at the Student Financial Services webpage under the "Tuition and Other Fees Schedules" section.
Note: All amounts are shown in USD.
Students affiliated with the US Armed Forces may receive tuition benefits through the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) and the Yellow Ribbon Program, as well as Chapter 30- Montgomery Bill and Chapter 31- Vocational rehabilitation.
Information on VA benefits for Stanford students may be viewed here: VA Education Benefits | Student Services (stanford.edu).
Contact the Stanford University Financial Aid office for more information.
Once your enrollment is processed by our team, you will receive notification to log into your mystanfordconnection account to arrange payment. Payment for quarterly tuition and fees are due 30 days after the start of instruction each quarter. Tuition and fees must be paid in full; installment payments are not allowed. Payment may be made by credit card, wire transfer, direct invoice to a company, purchase order, company voucher, letter of credit, company check, or Yellow Ribbon tuition benefits (for veterans).
If you pay using a credit card, a receipt will automatically be sent to you by email. The receipt will be sent to the preferred email address listed in your mystanfordconnection account. If you need a receipt at a later date, please contact us at email@example.com.
If your company has agreed to pay for your tuition, our finance department will send an invoice to your company approximately 30 days after the start of instruction. Late payment fees will be charged to the student’s account, unless noted otherwise.
Tuition and fees payable to the Stanford Center for Professional Development include:
- Tuition per credit unit (3 unit minimum)
- One-time document fee (only charged for the first quarter registered at Stanford)
- ASSU (Associated Students of Stanford University) fee for local HCP students
- Fees for late payment of tuition
- Fees for submission of study list after the preliminary study list deadline
All other fees, such as housing, health insurance, and petition fees to change course enrollment after the deadline must be paid directly to the university through Student Financial Services.
Both the university and SCPD tuition and fees are subject to annual review and may be adjusted. All changes will take effect at the start of autumn quarter and are applicable for the duration of the academic year.
Tuition Refund Policy
Before the Financial Add/Drop Deadline, all tuition paid to the Stanford Center for Professional Development for courses dropped will be refunded in full, less any late fees that are assessed.
After the Financial Add/Drop Deadline, tuition and fees paid to the Stanford Center for Professional Development will not be subject to refund except under the following circumstances:
1. Medical emergency (hospitalization or major medical condition of the student). Official written and signed documentation from a physician will be required (which notes date originally seen, diagnosis and prognosis).
2. Death of a “close family” member. “Close family” is limited to the student’s spouse, domestic partner, children, parents and parents-in-law, parent surrogate, brothers and sisters, grandparents and grandchildren. Written documentation will be required (Death Certificate).
3. A call to active military duty (in the event of a national emergency such as in a time of war). Written documentation will be required.
4. Withdrawal - the University, not the Stanford Center for Professional Development, will charge a per diem rate for course withdrawals (for full policy see the Adding and Dropping Courses & Units section).
Tuition will not be refunded after the Financial Drop Deadline for other reasons, such as business travel, family emergency travel (other than #2 above), minor illness, injury, or workload increase.
If you are approved for a Leave of Absence after the beginning of the quarter, the tuition refund policy will be followed, as explained above. The University will charge per diem tuition from the first day of class until the last day of class attended. Per diem tuition must be paid directly to the University through Student Financial Services, not through the Stanford Center for Professional Development. For Leaves of Absence approved after the term withdrawal deadline, the full amount of tuition is due to the university.
If you are due a refund and your original payment was made by credit card, that same credit card account will be credited within 5 business days. If you made payment via wire transfer, a check will be issued as a refund within 10 business days of the wire transfer clearing. If the payment was made by company check, the company will be granted a refund by check.